Wednesday, October 5, 2016

Windows 7 Masterkey Leaked

Windows 7 Masterkey Leaked


I am not too sure if the above heading is one that can turn heads. Reason? Microsoft has been compromised many times than anyone cares to care or count. Should I add that Windows is all the most vulnerable OS? Well as I said news that Microsoft has been compromised is nothing new. Rather it’s the way Microsoft responded to the security breach that surprised many. Instead of just issuing a statement that the Windows 7 masterkey has been stolen and please help us find the culprits, went on to make preposterous statements. First, they begin boasting about the advanced technology within Windows 7 which prevents hacks that activates the new OS. Alex Kochis went on to imply that those running the OS activated with the stolen key will be especially vulnerable to security risks like malware.

Looking at brag number one, anyone with above knowledge of computers knows that any Windows version can be illegally activated. I have a machine which dual boots activated versions of Windows XP SP3 and Windows Vista Ultimate SP2. I didn’t buy the licenses of the operating systems but through a bit of BIOS modification and simple applications I have them running. Using a specially reverse-engineered copy of nLite I managed a build myself a genuine Windows XP copy and Vista was even much easier. Anyone care to remember the noise Microsoft about how Windows Vista was safe from hack exploits? I even have the Vista Activator executable that I give to my brethrens who are not tech savvy enough to modify their BIOS and the activator goes past Vista updates and service packs unnoticed. Personally I don’t see why I have to buy a $200-300 OS license for a machine that I use sorely to play Grand Theft Auto, Need for Speed and Sega Rally. I know for certain that a few days after 22 October my brethrens will be having activated Windows 7 copies (and Microsoft knows as well) so I wonder where all the bold statements are coming from. Anyone remotely aware of computer security knows that anything which can be protected can be compromised as well.

On the issue of people who use the stolen key being vulnerable Microsoft is lying again. The statement released by Microsoft make it appear like those people who use genuine, or should I say paid up, licenses are safe. Truth of the matter is if you use a genuine copy of Windows you are vulnerable. If you use a cracked/hacked/violated copy of Windows you are vulnerable. If you install all security updates religiously and follow whatever Microsoft advices, you are vulnerable. If you install all the best anti-virus applications in the world with minute updates you are vulnerable. Only way to have peace of mind is to buy a Mac (its not safe buy the risks are minimal) or having Linux (not 100% but chances of you being compromised are same as chances of your wife / husband being a virgin). Now I don’t see why Microsoft should try and scare people into thinking that running a pirated copy of Windows is risky. Considering the number of security holes that Microsoft keeps plugging in its applications especially Internet Explorer I actually wonder if the geeks at Microsoft use Windows and Microsoft applications at all. I really wonder where all the anti-trust lawyers are with Microsoft peddling such mis-information.

It is my opinion that Microsoft is feeling the economic heat just like everyone else and is trying to get all the cash it can and can’t risk the stolen key drilling a hole in its pocket. I have noticed that the trend now in proprietary software is that developed give away a stripped version of an application for free then charge for another version with added features and functionality. I would be the first Windows fanboy if Microsoft can adopt such a business model instead of cowering the public into buying outrageously priced licenses. Maybe first step will be giving away Windows 7 Starter for free on netbooks. After all Google said it will be giving away its Chrome OS for free.

Available link for download