Monday, November 28, 2016

Vodacom 4G LTE data network speed test results

Vodacom 4G LTE data network speed test results


I have been entrusted with a gorgeous Samsung Galaxy S3 LTE handset from Vodacom to put their new LTE data network (also referred to as 4G) to the test. Here are the results of my initial speedtest.net tests conducted in the Emmarentia area, Johannesburg, South Africa....

Note that the signal strength indicator dropped to 3/4 bars during the 4G/LTE test so I will need to find a location where I can get full strength and then retest to reveal the full potential of the Vodacom LTE network. (Update: I have since located an area with full Vodacom 4G signal and I actually achieved less impressive results than with 75% signal, but I will keep scouting...)

None the less, I am already impressed by the speed on offer by the Vodacom LTE data network in spite of not having full signal - LTE download test results are 46% faster than HSDPA and LTE upload test results are an amazing 432% faster than HSDPA (at the same location).

You can also get a feel for every day Vodacom LTE performance here or get Vodacom LTE network tips here.

Vodacom 4G/LTE speedtest.net results, Emmarentia, Johannesburg

 

Vodacom HSDPA/3G speedtest.net results, Emmarentia, Johannesburg


For what its worth, I got about 2.5Mbps download and 1Mbps upload on Vodacom LTE with 1 bar of signal strength, so network performance is better on full signal HSDPA than average / low signal LTE.

Available link for download